Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Importance of a Good Childhood




I just heard Paul Johnson speak at the 'Embracing the Early Years' conference in Burlington, Ontario.  He said something I found very significant.  From his previous work in a homeless shelter, he noticed that the one commonality among its clients was a negative childhood.  That was it.  Not even income or education level could be said to be the same for everyone.  Only the lack of a good childhood. 

That demonstrates the importance of the work we do as parents.

And I don't think this means buying your kids things.  It's about creating a loving, fun atmosphere with positive structure.  It's giving your time.  I'll never be a perfect parent, that's for sure.  But I love my kids, and I'll keep trying to make sure they know it.  Even when they leave laundry and wrappers on the floor!

No comments: