Sunday, November 9, 2014

Vance Joy at the Phoenix, November 1, 2014


Vance Joy makes me feel so old, but how I love him.  I love his music.  Every single song. I admire his songwriting.  His lyrics are old like me.  Listen to some of these:

"I know, I know that I can do no wrong in my father's eyes/And I swear I swear that I will test this out/before the day  I die." - Play with Fire

"And I will read in to everything you don't say/All of your silent ways" - Red Eye

"Think that it's worth it?  Well I hope that you're right/You're falling asleep/on the Red Eye tonight." - Red Eye

"Do you like walking in the rain? When you think of love/do you think of pain?" - Mess is Mine

"[You] Say I don't look much like a lover/Doesn't mean that I won't try/to set your world on fire/every once in awhile." - Best that I Can

"Don't walk too proud/don't talk too loud/And make it up as you go/And take whatever you are given/And leave what you think you know/at the door." - My Kind of Man


The concert was amazing.  He switched between two guitars and his ukulele.  He told us anecdotes; he was warm and funny.

Amazing music and a great rapport with the audience.  I bet the next time I see him, it won't be in a small place like the Phoenix.

No comments: