Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Real Christmas Trees Versus Artificial: It's All About the Memories!





Every year the same debate arises: is it better to have an artificial tree or a real one?  People say the artificial trees are easier and less mess.  Exactly!  What's the fun in that?  I love to do things the hard way.  I mean, what I appreciate are the memories that go with getting a real tree.

Every year we drive out to a Christmas tree farm with my parents and our kids.  We walk through the grounds until we find a tree we like, and then we cut it down.

It's the adventure of it all.  The freezing cold wind.  The hot chocolate I bring in the thermos. The arguments.

Dragging an artificial tree out of a basement just isn't the same.  Will the kids fondly remember that?

I realize I'm biased.  And that there are other good memories such as decorating the tree with Christmas music on while drinking wine.  Or maybe that's just me.  (We do that too.)

I like that we have a tradition of always going to cut down our tree.  And the fact we are creating some memories they will have for always.

Like how the three kids fought all the way to the tree farm about whose turn it was to put the angel on the top of the tree this year.  That was festive.

And about how the kids couldn't agree on which tree to get, so there were two in contention.  When one was chosen, the child whose tree lost out starting crying.  See what I mean?  Good quality family memories they will treasure forever.

It's all part of the experience.  Someone's always crying or arguing anyway; it may as well be at a beautiful Christmas tree farm.  Am I right?



No comments: