Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kid Speak

The other day I was having a tea party with my daughter.  I offered her a plate with cut-up apple on it (she loves apple) but she pushed it away from her.  She stated haughtily, "Mommy, princesses do NOT like apple."

I was nonplussed.  "Well!  That isn't what Cinderella told me just yesterday.  Princesses love apple.  They can't get enough of it.  Apple is right up there with princes and glass slippers and ...broccoli.  Yummy!"  I'm not certain I convinced her.

Although my daughter loves princesses, I'm trying to make sure she doesn't ACT like one.  When she asks me to play the prince, and has the princess fall off a cliff (the piano stool), I save her.  But then, I pretend to fall off the cliff too, and yell for the princess to save ME, and she does.  The other day she was playing with her Rapunzel doll, and was having her hit the Flynn Ryder character over the head with a frying pan (that happens in the movie).  She was hitting him quite hard and with obvious enjoyment.  Then she was making them kiss.  So I guess I still have a lot to work on, there.

I have to deal with both a little princess and little princes.  At dinner last night we were talking about how old everyone is.  When my son found out my age, he gasped.  A little too loudly for my liking.  Then he exclaimed, "Wow, Mom!  Are you going to RETIRE?"

Although this was very sweet of him, it wasn't as bad as what my five year old said to me very matter-of-factly the other day.  He looked me right in the eye and stated,  "Mommy, when I'm 99 you'll be dead."

I took a deep breath.  He wasn't trying to be mean.  He was just making a statement.  It takes kids awhile to learn social niceties and the nuances of conversation.  I mean, I'm still trying to teach him not to wipe his nose on his shirt.  I thought of and rejected several different responses.  Finally I answered, "That's right." 

I was thinking that I had been having a tiny bit of trouble thinking of facing 40 this summer, but now he had, how should I put it, given me a little nudge past the whole 40 thing.  40, ha!  So...thanks for that, sweetie.  Thanks a lot.

He made up for it later, though.  He ran up to me out of nowhere, gave me a big hug and kiss, and said, "You're the goodest mommy ever!"

No comments: