Sunday, January 20, 2013

Wheat-Free: An Experiment




I am choosing to go wheat-free for two weeks.  I say 'choosing' because I don't have celiac disease, so I don't have to do it.  My friend and boot camp instructor recommended I try it as a way to reach a new level of health.  I have never agreed with fad diets or demonizing any food.  But I have heard that wheat has been modified so much that it is no longer healthy.  I don't know for sure if that's true or not, but mostly this plan has been about increasing my vegetable intake as well as healthy protein and alternate foods that I'm not used to yet.

So far, so good.  Of course there have been ups and downs.  Like the time I saw some gluten-free chocolate chip cookies in the grocery store and I stared at the box, transfixed, for too long.  I was able to walk away.  I also went head to head with a granola bar but I was again able to back down.

What I like about this plan is that it seems very healthy, because it's about cutting out sugar and wheat and processed foods.  Hence why I can't buy those gluten-free cookies.

I thought I was eating a lot of vegetables and salads before, but now I'm eating even more greens.  And I'm eating more protein like tuna, chicken and eggs.

I am loving my eggs and vegetables - mushrooms, kale and onions - in the morning.  I wasn't sure how I was going to cope without my Fibre 1, but it has been fine.  I also love berry smoothies in the morning.

And I've bought things I've never bought before.  I went up to a salesperson in a health food store and asked where I could find edamame, but I pronounced it as if it rhymed with 'same'.  She looked at me funny and said condescendingly, "Do you mean edamame (pronounced edamamEH)?"

I wish I had said what I thought, which was, "Do I honestly look like I care what it's called? Because, in case you haven't guessed, I don't! Just point it out!"

I'm using camelina oil, which I love, and also more quinoa and flax seed, and lots of different kinds of nuts and seeds.  I also love boiled potatoes.  Amazingly, they are delicious cold.  (I know, but if you don't believe me - just try it!)

You definitely have to be organized and be a good shopper.  If you don't have the food around you can eat, that's when you get those meaningful stares from the granola bars hanging around in your work cupboard.  If you have a good stash of nuts and Greek yogourt, you're good.

I'm one week in, so we'll see how it goes.  Just don't wave any cookies in my face.

No comments: