Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Must Life Humble Me This Way?



I lost my car key.  This was a problem, because we only had the one.  We had gotten the car used, and it only came with one key.  We didn't get another because it was one of those keys that are ridiculously expensive; it's programmed by a computer. 

Anyway, it happened on a Friday so we had all weekend to look for it.  I tore the house apart.  I mean, I was pulling apart couches and moving furniture.  I moved the washer and dryer.  I tore the car apart.  Nothing.

I usually put the keys in a pocket in my purse or leave them beside my purse.  I couldn't remember which place I had used.  It had been a crazy day because of the teacher's-strike-but-then-no-strike, and I had been stressed out and flustered when I came in the house.  I even thought it might have fallen out of my pocket, so I looked in the garage and under the car.

To summarize, I found everything we had ever lost, except my key.

After wasting hours of my life looking for it, we realized we had to move on.

I couldn't believe it, but I had to have my car TOWED to the dealership in order to get a new key made.  The CAA asked me what was wrong with it.  I responded incredulously, "Absolutely nothing!  I just lost my key!"

My car was towed as I looked despondently on, mentally kicking myself.  I would have done it physically if I was more flexible.

I had to pay $371.00 for a new key.  I know.  It's unbelievable.

I said to the guy at the dealership, "Well at least if I find it I'll have two working keys!"

He shook his head, replying, "Well, actually...it has been reprogrammed now so you'd have to pay us more to reprogram the old one."

Money. Grab. (That's all I've got.)

Anyway, the other day, about a week later, I found the key.

I can barely bring myself to admit it.  I hate to say it.  I can't believe it myself.

It was in my purse.

I had looked in my purse about five times.  My husband had looked in my purse.  My kids had looked in it.

The key was wedged into a bottom corner.  That doesn't really make me feel any better.

To recap, I got my car TOWED while the key was sitting in my purse.

This may be one of the most embarrassing things I have ever done!

You can laugh at me now.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

as I recall, car keys have always been a bit of a thing....I have a memory of my dad using a fishing pole to retrieve a set from the sewer....

Jennifer Dunlop Jormakka said...

Darn...I was hoping to sneak this by as a one-off kind of thing...now everyone knows I have a 'history'! :) (That was funny, though - your dad with the fishing pole. Good times.)