Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Around the Bay 30K!

I did my first Around the Bay 30K!  I am a trail runner, so I don't do road runs very often.  But this race, being so large and well-known, was on my bucket list.  It was quite something to run with thousands of other runners.  I loved watching the column of runners stream over bridges.  It is fun to run on roads with good views, as it's such a unique way to see the city.  Or crazy.  That too!

It was a well-run race, and the long sleeve technical shirt you get is awesome.  Also the hat and medal.  But please - thousands of runners means more port a potties needed.


I enjoyed reading the signs people held up.  Some of my favourites:

Worst. Parade. Ever.
Your Feet Hurt Because You're Kicking Butt!
Go, random stranger, Go!
You've Got Stamina...Call Me!
Can You Run Against Rob Ford?

I was so happy to see the Grim Reaper.  That sounds strange.  But it means, as he says, that The End is Near!  (Great make up, btw.)

I saw two people down on the ground and multiple others stretching out IT bands and sore legs.  I have been there, and it sucks.  I was so happy not to feel any IT band pain the whole race!  Thank you, foam roller.  My hips were sore by the end, but manageable.

I enjoyed the run, finished upright and smiling, and didn't injure myself.  Goal accomplished!

No comments: