Friday, April 19, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombers and "Moral Vacancy"

My newspaper, The Hamilton Spectator, published an excerpt from an editorial a few days ago that spoke of the 'moral vacancy' of the people who set off the bombs at the Boston Marathon.  I completely agree with that term.  Morally bankrupt is another good term, as is unconscionable.  How can anyone justify doing that?  Those people were runners.  There were family members and children there.  As a runner it definitely hits close to home.  My son said to me, "Mommy, I'm really glad you didn't run in that marathon."  No one should have to worry about running in a marathon.  I don't know why the bombers did what they did.  And I guess I don't need to know.  Because there is no justification.  There is no rationalization.

No comments: