Monday, January 20, 2014

Running, Wonderful Running!





This is why I love running.  Against all expectations, I just had a great run.  It is -11 degrees but it feels like -17 degrees.  Still, I am training for a 30K race in March, and time is ticking.  (And by 'training', I mean hoping to run enough so I can finish the race without injuring myself and taking twenty-four hours to do it.  I work full-time and I have three kids, and my kids each have lots of activities.  Lots.) 

Anyway, every time I start training for a race, I download a training schedule and insist that THIS time, I am going to follow it to the letter.  Except that I don't.  Something always gets in the way.  I have been diligently cross-training, but it has been hard to get outside to run with all the ice.  And the cold temperatures. 

But tonight, I decided that nothing was going to stop me.  I decided to bundle up and hope for the best.  I wore two layers on my legs, four layers on my top, two pairs of gloves, an ear band, a hat, and a face cover.  And I felt warm (once I started running).  Even though I prefer trail running, I ran on the road tonight.  For some reason, it felt great and I even felt what to me is the 'runner's high'.  I am running along, and it just feels easy and good, and suddenly I can see a long way in front of me and I just want to sprint it.  I focus on a point way ahead, and run steadily and quickly toward it.  It's a great feeling.  I've heard a 'rule of thumb' is not to run if it's colder than -10 degrees.  I am Canadian though, and it was all good!

Bring on the race.

No comments: