Thursday, September 23, 2010

Where Has My Mind Gone?

The other day I tried to return items to a different store than where I bought them.  That's right.  It wasn't on purpose.  I've just been sleep-deprived for seven years.  I was heading to do some grocery shopping, and I needed to return two things.  I even had the receipt.  Midway through driving to the store in question, I decided to go to a closer grocery store, since I had two of my three children with me.  Anyone who has small children will not need any further explanation.  Anyway, although the car took a detour, apparently my mind was unable to grasp the implications of it.  I went to the different grocery store, waited in line, and even helpfully circled the items on the receipt (with the chain name in big block letters at the top).  The cashier tried to ring the items through before saying, "Um...actually, we don't even carry this item."  Of course they didn't.  Because it was the wrong store!  I felt like a complete idiot.  Of course, there is a lot of that going around for me lately.

Twice I have driven off in my van with my coffee travel mug on top, causing the mug to hurtle by my window and crash onto the road, spilling coffee (that's the worst part).  The second time, I even said to my oldest son as I put the mug on top of the van, "I can't forget to put my mug in the van this time!"  And yet, just a few minutes later, that's exactly what I did.  Of course, that was after I had put my youngest child in the car seat, buckled in two out of three, and put in hats and sunscreen and water bottles and snacks...you see where I'm going with this.

The third time I remembered to put my coffee mug in the van.  As I was backing out of the driveway, I gave the thumbs up to my son saying, "Finally I remembered to put my mug in!"  CRASH.  I had backed into the green bin.  Oh, well.  Coffee over the green bin any day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

One time I put my husband's work cell phone on the little ledge where the frong wipers are. I said to myself, "I have to remember this is here." I remembered when I watched the phone fly off the van as we accelerated onto the highway. Oops!

I have no mind either.

Sabrina said...

holy canoli, one time i put the hot coffee pot into the baking cupboard. i feel your pain.

Tara Hamilton said...

I've been there too, I was recently in the wrong store trying to return an item. I've also driven off with coffee on the roof of the car. But my biggest thing is leaving the keys in the front door until morning. I've done it so many times now I immediately look in the lock when I can't find my keys.