Saturday, April 2, 2011

When I Grow Up...I Want to Annoy My Mommy

My son in Senior Kindergarten had to wear the costume of his favourite Community Helper to his class.  He chose to be a police officer, so we bought the costume at the dollar store. 

I was thinking, "That's a good choice; someone who works for justice!"

Then I thought about it a little more.  Just in case, I decided to ask my son why he wanted to be a police officer.

He looked at me gleefully, answering, "Because I get to carry a GUN!"

I took a deep breath.

I looked at my son with a frown on my face.  "Wrong answer, Ryan!  Try again!"

He looked up at me, his confidence wavering slightly.  He murmured tentatively, "Ummm....because I get to shoot people?"

I sat down in despair.  "NO!  Not appropriate!  Listen to the words coming out of my mouth.  You...want...to...help...people!  You know, Community HELPer.  A person who HELPS, not who shoots everyone to Kingdom Come!"

My son repeated it after me, not looking very convinced.  I could just see him thinking, 'BORRRING'.  He wants to be the superhero type.

The next morning he ran up to me before class and said anxiously, "Mommy, can you write that thing I'm supposed to say down for me?"


I remember the time my other son was asked what he wanted to do when he grew up, and he said, "Live in a trailer park."

That's great, honey.  Aim high.  Aim high. 

He soon switched his choice to an archaeologist.  I won't say whew, but...whew!

We were having a conversation again the other night about what the kids would be when they grew up.

My son said to my daughter, "You can be a princess when you grow up, Ella!"

She looked at him in disbelief, her eyes rolling.  "I'm a princess ALREADY, Colin!"  She didn't say it, but you could easily hear the 'hello?' implicit in her statement.

My five year old son then said, "Yes, and Daddy is a prince right now."

I was about to interrupt and say, "Hold on, there,"  but Ryan continued.

"And you're the queen, Mommy."

Oh - well.  Okay then...

No comments: