Friday, January 20, 2012

No One Said It Would Be Easy ('No One Said It Would Be So Hard' - thank you, Coldplay)

"It's lucky for you that I have more things to do in the morning than you do,"  my son remarked casually, after complaining that he has to feed our cat.

I fell over in shock.  At least, I think I fell over, but I was in too much shock to be certain.

I guess this is where the egocentricity thing comes in with children.  I opened my mouth but it took awhile for the words to march out, because they were in shock too.

I finally stammered, "You get up, eat the breakfast I make for you, put on the clothes I have washed for you and set out for you, pack the lunch I have made for you and the agenda I have signed for you, which may or may not contain cheques I have signed for the school as well as forms I have had to fill out."  And that's only for one hour in the morning!  And you're only one of my children!

It's too bad that as humans we have to make the same mistakes over and over.  I know that's how we learn.

But I'm having the same arguments and issues with my children that I remember my parents having with me.  The 'Who left the apple core on the table?'  The 'How can you walk by the stuff to go up the stairs?'  The 'Stop leaving your laundry on the floor!'  (Oh, sorry, that's my husband.) 

Full disclosure: I leave my laundry on the floor too.  I've decided that if I can't beat them I'll join them.  Works great for the whole house atmosphere thing, but that's another post.

And it's funny, because as I'm telling my children all these things I'm also forgiving them, because I remember I did it too and I didn't mean anything by it; I was still just focused on having fun and learning and I didn't mean to annoy my parents.  But as parents we still have to teach our children.  We don't want them to grow up and be uncivilized.

I'd like my childrens' partners to appreciate their manners at some point.

Some days I am not entirely certain that will ever happen.  But I keep trying.  That's all we can do, right? 

And you hold onto those small moments.  Like the other night when I had washed all the makeup off my face and I just had my nightie on, and my son looked at me and said, "Mom, you look beautiful."

Thank you, honey.  I needed that.  (His partner will LOVE me!)

No comments: