Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Parenting Perspectives

Parenting changes things.  Almost always for the good, of course.  But it is hard work.  My theory is that anything that is worthwhile is hard work.  But sometimes when you're working so hard...something has to go.

I remember the time I had gotten a new hair cut, and I wasn't sure if I liked it.  Finally I asked my husband what he thought of the new hairstyle.  He told me that he had no idea, and that he hadn't even looked at my hair.  There was a moment of silence.

"I got my hair cut TEN DAYS AGO!" I said in disbelief. 

I'm pretty sure he looked at me before we had children, but I'm not positive.

Of course it goes both ways.  I remember the day when our youngest was a baby, and the other two were under the age of 5.  (As I've said before, it was at this time of my life that I felt sure I was engaging in 'extreme parenting'.) 

Anyway, my husband had gone fishing all day, for seven and a half hours, not that I was counting every single minute he was gone or anything.  When he finally came home I bounded across the room and flung my arms around him.  "Thank GOD you're home!" I exclaimed happily.

He looked at me a bit suspiciously.  "Did you miss me for any reason other than childcare?" he asked hopefully.

I thought for a minute, and then shook my head regretfully.  "Sorry, no.  Love you!  Gotta go!"

No comments: