Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Ringing Endorsement for Extra-Curriculars....And A Ringing Endorsement for Teachers



I love this quote from Ed Robertson of The Barenaked Ladies about extra-curriculars:

“I wouldn’t be where I am without public school music education...Studies show that kids who study music and art do better in math and science.  And for me, and I know a lot of people, that’s the only reason we went to school, whether it was band or choir or the hockey team. It’s the extracurricular stuff at school ... that’s the reason you suffer through all the other crap.” 
(Article in Hamilton Spectator, February 2013.)

I agree.  I think children need the whole experience.

But don't think I'm bashing teachers, because I'm not.  I love my son's teacher at school right now.  He seems to really 'get' boys, which I love in a teacher.

This is an actual quote from my son's agenda the other day:  "I saw some extraordinary leadership qualities in Ryan during group work today! (He is reminded to leave his whoopee cushion at home.)"

My son had snuck it into his backpack; I had no idea that he had even taken it to the school.  I can only imagine what transpired in the classroom to result in the note.

I love the compliment first, and then the gentle reminder.  Another teacher could have been extremely upset about the whoopee cushion.  I love teachers who can see the positive aspects in a child while still acknowledging rules they need to follow.

And I promise, every morning I will search my son's backpack before he goes to school!

 

No comments: