Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Shrove What?

Today I made pancakes for dinner.  I told the kids we were having pancakes because of Shrove Tuesday, and that's what you do on that date.  I said it with great self-importance.

They were just happy to be able to eat pancakes for dinner so they didn't question me any further.  My three year old daughter did her little 'pancake dance'.  We were all content.

My husband came home and when I announced we were having pancakes, he asked why.

"It's Shrove Tuesday, of course."  I answered nonchalantly, brandishing my spatula in the air.  "I mean, come on...everyone knows THAT."

"What is Shrove Tuesday?" he asked.

There was a moment of silence as I thought about it.

Finally I sighed and admitted, "I have absolutely no idea.  None.  Not a clue."

He just looked at me.

"Fine!"  I yelled as I ran to the computer.  I looked it up. 

Christians have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday because it's the day before Lent, when they typically give up the ingredients that are in pancakes such as fat, butter, and eggs.  'Shrove' comes from the word 'shrive' which means to confess your sins, which Christians do before Lent.

Anyway, we don't celebrate Lent.  But hey, for Shrove Tuesday....count me in!

No comments: